As my 73rd birthday rounds the bend, I’ve been reflecting on where I’ve been in my personal happiness and growth and asking myself what I want my future to look like. I’m not hoping or wishing. I’m not begging or groveling. I know straight up that what my future looks like is up to me.
Ah, but you say: what about the possibility of a severe illness or – worse yet, COVID? What about the death of someone you love? What if something happens to your beloved pet, Kali? What if the future is uncertain because of a lack of resources? These are indeed horrible things and any of them would be devastating, but I’d go on. I might not go on the way I intended or for very long, but there’d be something there, even if only for a few hours.
In the process of thinking of the future, I’ve spent time identifying those things I’m sure of for me today. This list is not complete. I will add new items in the future, but this list isn’t flighty either. It’s made up of things I truly believe, things that are solidly engrained in my psyche. While my list is understandably personal, I’m happy to share some items that may also be on your list.
WHAT I KNOW FOR SURE TODAY:
- Every day brings a new opportunity to be better.
- Having a dark, rich cup of tasty coffee is a most delightful way to start my day.
- If I don’t reach out to others, eventually no one will reach out to me.
- Books are some of my best friends.
- Change will come, whether I welcome it or not.
- No one can steal my joy; if it goes it’s because I gave it away.
- Daily gratitude is just as important in my health and well-being as brushing and flossing.
- I am not my age: I am a writer, reader, good friend, and a fierce and loving mom to my fur baby.
- I vote for myself every day.
- Learning new and different things will always be a priority.
- There’s never enough time.
- There is no coincidence; everything happens for a reason, usually for me to learn something.
- My spirit leads me to all good things when I listen to it.
- My happiness in the future is up to me.
What do you know for sure today?